A new elastomer for microfluidic purpose: FLEXDYM
An alternative to PDMS
Transparent, Inexpensive, Cell culture friendly
Very easy to use and to bond
Flexsdym is a new material for the microfluidic world. It has been imagined by researchers who wanted to get rid of the drawbacks of PDMS while keeping its advantages.
What is it?
Flexdym is copolymers block, composed of Di or Triblock according to the different grade. It’s a hard material such as PMMA in a soft block matrix which enables a good nanostructuration stable and soft.
Different grade for different application
The structure of Flexdym offers the possibility to change the hard block to change the physical and chemical properties of the film.
How to use it?
Flexsdym is a really easy to use material. It’s in the form of films, the size of a 4inches square is adapted to almost all microfluidic devices. The film form enables to have a product ready to use, no need to mix or degas any component.
As PDMS, Flexdym needs a mold to mimic a design. Of course a SU-8 mold can be used but also PDMS itself, Epoxy mold, aluminium…
A simple hot press and few seconds are sufficient to make a microfluidic chip.
Flexdym can be bonded to itself or on other plastics and glasses. This versatility enables imaging a wide range of devices.
- Easy to use.
- Really fast fabrication.
- None permanent to permanent bonding without applied pressure down to room temperature.
- Integration 3D fluidic, surface modification, biological reagents.
- Biocompatible PCRs, DNA, proteins, cells culture…
- Large mechanical and chemical spectrum
- High impact on master mold accessible technology and cycle time.
There are 4 kind of Flexstene for now, we present them here but if you have any question please send us an email.
- Flexstene Basic: It is easily moldable and requires minimal pressure to create microstrucutres from your mold. It is recommended for opening microfluidic chips such as creating microposts for live cell immobilization.
- Flexstene Pro: It is adhesive and stiks very well to itself, glass, and some hard plastics through thermal bonding to seal your microfluidic devices.
- Flexstene Ultra: It thermally bonds to hard plastics for a tighter seal. Ultra is more physically durable than other Flexstene products with higher tear and tensil strengths.
- Flexstene F: It is our most inert sheet with high chemical resistance for sensitive assays.
|Product||Sheet size||Sheet Thickness||Molding temperature||Harness Shore A||Specific Gravity||Tear Strength||Tensile Strength||Elongation|
|Flexstene Basic||10cm x 10cm||1.5 mm||160-170 °C||30||0.9 g/cm3||19 kN/M||5.2 MPa||850%|
|Flexstene Pro||10cm x 10cm||0.7 mm||160-170 °C||40||0.9 g/cm3||14kN/M||7.4 MPa||700%|
|Flexstene Ultra||10cm x 10cm||1.0 mm||160-170 °C||40||0.9 g/cm3||25 kN/M||17.5 MPa||1000%|
|Flexstene F||10cm x 10cm||0.3 mm||210-220 °C||70||1.9 g/cm3||27 kN/M||11.9 MPa||650%|
The perfect transition between research and mass production
Flexdym has also been created to offer a solution to companies and research laboratories for transition between research and commercially viable products and thus compatible with mass production.
Indeed the Flexdym has a really quick manufacturing time and it is compatible with well known production facility as hot or roll embossing.